Skip to main content

The Need for Self-Love (Practicing Self-Care)



February is the unofficial month of love, all thanks to that pesky Valentine's Day. I don't usually do much to celebrate the "holiday" because it never seemed like a big deal to me. (Well, except for the years I was single. Then it seemed like a big deal!) In fact, my boyfriend and I might not even see each other this Valentine's Day.
Image result for chocolate hearts
"Love" that will go straight to my thighs.

So while I may not prescribe to the ooey-gooey, lovey-dovey brand of affection that chocolatiers and greeting card companies try to sell, there is one type of love that I am a big proponent of:

Self-love.

Just in case this all sounds selfish or conceited, let me assure you that it definitely is not. Loving yourself is one of the most important things you can do for yourself!

Loving yourself means knowing your boundaries and having realistic expectations of yourself.

In my own life, it means knowing when I'm feeling too stressed. It's knowing when to start saying "no" to other people and when to start saying "yes" to myself.

The best way for me to stay in love with myself is to practice self-care: doing the little things to make sure I stay happy and healthy outside of my work life, writing life, other relationships, and responsibilities.

Sometimes, when you're already feeling stressed, it seems impossible to block off time of the day for yourself. When there are a million things on your to-do list, how are you supposed to push that all aside and do something just for you?

I'm not gonna lie to you: it's hard. It's hard as hell, but it is essential. You will thank yourself.

How do I do it? Well, I'll tell you!

  1. Check in with yourself. The first thing I do, especially when I recognize that I'm feeling stressed or upset, is to mentally take a step back and check in with myself. I'll stretch my body to ease the physical tension, take a few deep breaths, and ask myself, "What's got you feeling this way?"
  2. Work out. Now I'll be the first to admit that I'm not especially good at keeping up with this one. It can be hard to hit the gym when there are a million other things that you think you should be doing. So I tell myself, "You only have to go for half an hour. Thirty minutes." A lot of times, I'll end up staying longer than that. I'll watch TV, listen to music, and/or read on my Kindle as I get moving on the treadmill.
  3. Eat something healthy (and delicious, but mainly healthy). When I'm feeling stressed, I want comfort food: mac and cheese, cheeseburgers and fries, fried chicken, anything with gravy, and CHOCOLATE. And while eating those things might make me feel better in the moment, I'll only end up feeling worse later. Most likely, my stomach will be queasy from overdoing it, and I'll be kicking myself for succumbing to the stress and overindulging. Sweets are treats, not medicine. But if I eat something healthy and filling, like an apple with almond butter, or some pistachios, it will make me feel better and I won't hate myself later.
  4. Treat yo self. There is something to the wise words of Tom Haverford and Donna Meagle. But don't let it be only one day out of the year! Treat yo self whenever you need a pick-me-up. How do I treat myself? Manicures, a new deep hair mask conditioner, taking a night off from writing to read a good book, going to the local theatre to catch a movie, spending some quality time with my cat, catching up with my friends, planning a fun date night... any of these things will lift my spirits.


The key is to listen to yourself. Know when you're feeling stressed, and learn what your stressors are so you can minimize your exposure to them or, hopefully, avoid them altogether.
How do you practice self-care? Share in the comments!



Keeping Up With the Jacobses:
February 2016

  • Tuesday, February 16: Sophia Henry is celebrating the release of POWER PLAY, the latest in her Pilots hockey series, from 12:00 noon to 11:00 pm. I'll be attending the Facebook party and having fun with Sophia and a great group of writers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remember Me?

*Knock, knock* Anybody out there? Or, better yet, anybody remember me? It's Jay! I haven't completely disappeared, or fallen off the face of the earth. I took a break from posting stories here on Blogger in order to try my hand at writing novels. So many of you, my lovely devoted readers, have left me comments saying that my writing's just as good--sometimes better!--than the books you've read. I especially received a lot of encouragement from fellow Blogger Melanie Ting , who has successfully e-published her first story! So I'm trying my hand at writing full-length novels, and I have lots of new material that I'm e-publishing through Amazon through 2013. First up, I'm publishing Play the Man , a reworked version of A Sharp Contrast. I changed the characters and updated the story, and I'm really happy with the finished product. Here's a peek at the cover:    I love it! What do you think? The story will go live on Amazon later tonight (

Hottie Hockey Hunks Blog Hop—GIVEAWAY!

Good morning, and happy hockey! Today is officially the start of the 2013-14 NHL season, and I for one couldn't be happier. Well, I'll be happier on Thursday when the Penguins play the Devils for the season opener, but I suppose I'm just being picky. Anyway. Have you ever heard of a blog hop? I hadn't—until I was invited to join one! So let me explain: bloggers with common interests unite to promote each other. So below, I have a link of seven other hockey romance writers you might be interested in. If you're familiar with me, then you've probably heard of Melanie Ting—a fellow writer who got her start in Blogger. But you should check out these other ladies and maybe find some new authors to enjoy! As a part of the Hottie Hockey Hunks Blog Hop , I'm sponsoring a giveaway (cue flashing lights! Cue trumpets!). I've decided to give a free copy of my new novel, Shots on Net , to one lucky reader who comments on this post! Please leave your e-mail addre

If April Showers Bring May Flowers, Do May Flowers Bring June Bugs?

Y'all. May was a crazy month. I had so much fun in Niagara Falls and Gettysburg, attending those two author events (Romancing the Falls and Rockin' Romance Readers, respectively). Mama J came with me, and we had a blast hanging out with  Lisa B. Kamps  again, meeting Christine and Victoria of Sweet & Sassy Reads , and loading up our shelves with books by new-to-us authors! Oh yeah, and I had a book come out, too. :) So even though May was awesome, I'm a little bit glad it's over. I'm still celebrating my latest release, but I'm also getting to work on what's to come. Things I'm up to: Proofing the paperback copy of  Dump and Chase  before announcing that paperbacks are for sale! Working on getting the paperback for  "Christmas Crosscheck"  up and hopefully available for pre-order (I hear it's kind of complicated; for those in the know, Amazon changed their paperback process and I hear some people aren't able to have pre