Skip to main content

Small Changes for Big Success

 I'm all about self-care, and if you follow me on any social medium, I'm sure you know that. I'm generally an anxious stress-ball of nerves. And I know I haven't taken enough time for myself in the past. I've trying to change that, so I've been implementing small changes in my life, including:


 It seems so simple, right? Know what you're going to eat before you eat it. It's not rocket science. I always had a stocked fridge/freezer/pantry, but I never took the time to plan out meals. To make sure that I had all the ingredients needed for certain meals. So every time it came to make a meal, I was scrounging. That led to a lot of fast food meals, because that was so much more convenient.

 Well, at that leads to is light wallet and a heavier weight on the scale.

 I wanted to save money and eat better. Eat real food and not processed, frozen meals or stuff handed to me through a window. But there's a reason why meal planning is hard to do: it's the opposite of convenient. It's time intensive and a lot of work and research. It took many steps, which I have outlined below:

 1. Well the first thing I did was to make a colorful chart, because I love to feel organized. It gave me a starting point: I knew I needed three small meals and three snacks a day.

 2. Then I hit my Pinterest boards to find healthy recipes that I was sure I would want to eat throughout an entire week. Because let's be honest—that's one of the hardest parts of meal planning. How am I supposed to know on Sunday what I want to eat on Friday? I don't even know what I want for breakfast when I wake up in the morning.

 3. Once I figured out what meals and snacks would be suitable, I took stock of what I already had and made a list of what ingredients and components I'd need to get me through the week. I divided the list into two categories: things to buy at the beginning of the week, and the fresh fruit and veggies to buy midway through the week (since I knew they would go back before the seven days would be up). I got the good roast beef from the deli, beautiful leaf lettuce, and ripe tomatoes to make sandwiches that rivaled Panera's, because I knew that would be a lunch I'd love to eat.

 4. I took a nap, because this was a lot of work so far!

 5. I did as much prep ahead of time as possible. I made a whole recipe of spinach dip that lasted as a snack for two households for two weeks. I divided up yogurt and granola for breakfasts and cottage cheese and fruit for snacks. That way, in the morning, I could just grab what was already prepped and not have to do any thinking.

 6. I figured out the key to meal planning: leaving myself options, aka planning for more than just the appropriate number of meals. That way, if I want tacos instead of spaghetti, I have that flexibility. Now I never feel trapped into eating something I don't want to eat.



 The other small thing I implemented is:


 Yes, yoga! I have been wanting to try it for a while, for two reasons. The first is that it's something I can do in my apartment without disrupting my neighbors. The other is that it's also supposed to help lower stress—and, as stated, I'm always stressed.

 I started off with this beginner level DVD. I rolled out a new mat, kept a towel and a yoga block nearby, and went for it. And it felt good. My muscles were stretched in ways they haven't been for a long time. I worked up a bit of a sweat, to my surprise! I've been making my way through the routines in this DVD, as recommended to me by fellow hockey romance author and yoga lover, V.L. Locey.

 I plan on going to the gym three days a week, and then doing yoga the other four days. I hope to continue to see progress in my strength and flexibility as well as help reducing my stress. As I said, it's seemed to work so far!





What do you do help manage stress? As always, let me know in the comments here or via any of my social media accounts. I'd love to hear from you, and maybe we can swap tips!

Happy reading,

Jay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hottie Hockey Hunks Blog Hop—GIVEAWAY!

Good morning, and happy hockey! Today is officially the start of the 2013-14 NHL season, and I for one couldn't be happier. Well, I'll be happier on Thursday when the Penguins play the Devils for the season opener, but I suppose I'm just being picky. Anyway. Have you ever heard of a blog hop? I hadn't—until I was invited to join one! So let me explain: bloggers with common interests unite to promote each other. So below, I have a link of seven other hockey romance writers you might be interested in. If you're familiar with me, then you've probably heard of Melanie Ting—a fellow writer who got her start in Blogger. But you should check out these other ladies and maybe find some new authors to enjoy! As a part of the Hottie Hockey Hunks Blog Hop , I'm sponsoring a giveaway (cue flashing lights! Cue trumpets!). I've decided to give a free copy of my new novel, Shots on Net , to one lucky reader who comments on this post! Please leave your e-mail addre

Remember Me?

*Knock, knock* Anybody out there? Or, better yet, anybody remember me? It's Jay! I haven't completely disappeared, or fallen off the face of the earth. I took a break from posting stories here on Blogger in order to try my hand at writing novels. So many of you, my lovely devoted readers, have left me comments saying that my writing's just as good--sometimes better!--than the books you've read. I especially received a lot of encouragement from fellow Blogger Melanie Ting , who has successfully e-published her first story! So I'm trying my hand at writing full-length novels, and I have lots of new material that I'm e-publishing through Amazon through 2013. First up, I'm publishing Play the Man , a reworked version of A Sharp Contrast. I changed the characters and updated the story, and I'm really happy with the finished product. Here's a peek at the cover:    I love it! What do you think? The story will go live on Amazon later tonight (

If April Showers Bring May Flowers, Do May Flowers Bring June Bugs?

Y'all. May was a crazy month. I had so much fun in Niagara Falls and Gettysburg, attending those two author events (Romancing the Falls and Rockin' Romance Readers, respectively). Mama J came with me, and we had a blast hanging out with  Lisa B. Kamps  again, meeting Christine and Victoria of Sweet & Sassy Reads , and loading up our shelves with books by new-to-us authors! Oh yeah, and I had a book come out, too. :) So even though May was awesome, I'm a little bit glad it's over. I'm still celebrating my latest release, but I'm also getting to work on what's to come. Things I'm up to: Proofing the paperback copy of  Dump and Chase  before announcing that paperbacks are for sale! Working on getting the paperback for  "Christmas Crosscheck"  up and hopefully available for pre-order (I hear it's kind of complicated; for those in the know, Amazon changed their paperback process and I hear some people aren't able to have pre